Monday, January 14, 2008

Time to move on...

Hey all. Its been quite a while since I last updated. Its been a busy time. I've been occupied with what's going on at Shamoozal.com and busy with the holidays.

This past Friday, my time at Curious Pictures as a drawn animator on "Little Einsteins" has come to an end. I've been there for the past three years, and I consider myself extremely lucky to have worked with so many talented people. I learned a hell of a lot, and its hard to believe that its all over. I felt ready to move on to another project, but it didn't strike me how much I would miss it on the 4th floor in the Hot Pocket until I was half way out the door. It is very unlikely that there will be another season ordered of the show, and the lease on the studio space we were stationed at is being let up. It certainly is an end to a very important time period in my career.

However, I feel very strongly that drawn animation can be pushed further forward. I think our team has proven that traditional drawn animation can be done effectively, affordable, be delivered on time, and most importantly be done here in the States. We were only a small crew, and I know we can carry the ball even further with a larger team in place.

While going through my files, I came across a handful of thumbnails that I did several years ago of the kids. I remember I was asked to drum up some poses by my director, Mike Luzzi, and these were what I came up with. Some were fleshed out and were fully animated for the show. I thought I'd share them with you.









9 comments:

Andy J Smith illustration said...

Nice sketches! Sounds like you guys had a pretty tight knit group there! Too bad it can't go on but you'll be hitting bigger and better things soon! Keep me posted on everything! I'll be in NYC soon.. Feb 8th ish. We should do some drinkin and drawin.

Frank said...

sounds like a plan! let me know!

Keelmy said...

Bittersweet.

Glad to finally be done with it, but you know deep down inside yor gonna miss it.

/cue wonder years soundtrack

Mary Varn said...

Hear, Hear!
Too bad we never got to use the June monster arm pose. Love that one!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Luzzi said...

Hey, I remember these! Great sketches, so much life to them.

Aah, farewell hot pocket.

Dagan Moriarty said...

great post, Franks! ;)

You guys had a great run and did some really nice work on the show... BIG congrats are in order!

And congrats again on the new gig!... Tell Mark, Joe and Tim that i said hello... Hope to see you real soon!

K.B. said...

Well,...as an animation industry person myself and especially as a father i just want to say thanks very much for your work on such a great show for kids. Einsteins is my 15 month old daughters FAVORITE show.As a family,..we really enjoyed your work and seeing her reactions to it. By the way,..did you work with Mike Benay there. He is a good friend of ours from Disney Florida studio and we saw his name in the Einsteins credits. Anyway,..best of luck on what comes next for you.

Frank said...

dags, we gotta hang sometime soon man!

hey kevin! thanks for the kind words. the show was a blast to work on.

i certainly do know mike benet! he sat right behind me until he left the production around march '06 i think it was to go do his own thing. he was a really great guy, and i learned a lot from him.